Lesson 4- How to create a blog?
Now, if you have decided your niche, it’s time to create a blog.
We’ll go step by step in this process, and in between you will find links to elaborate the topic if you want.
Step 1: Choose a proper domain name.
Every successful blogger is known by its domain name and not by name. So to select a domain name think twice.
Whenever someone searches on Google, with the headline they also take a look at the domain name.
So a domain name should contain few things :
● It should look fresh(new).
● It should convey to the visitors what your blog is about.
● It may contain your main keyword (for SEO
● Or it may be your name if you can make it a brand.
● It must be easy to remember.
● It may contain a misspelled keyword.
● It may be a longer version of your main keyword. I will explain these points in short and sweet details.
When you read some headline or domain name which feels old, you will never click on that content. So select an up to date domain name.
To keep your main keyword in your domain name is a part of SEO. Google may keep your content above by doing this. But it will only affect the SEO a very little.
If you want to make your name a brand then add it in your domain. But to become a brand is a very tough job to do.
When your domain name is easy to remember, visitors will come back easily if they like your content. And if they don’t like it then they will not click on the headline with your domain name.
Longer version of any keyword is easier to rank in search results.
Step 2: Getting a web hosting
Whenever you want to do any retail or wholesale business you will need some important location or only some space.
And when you want to do business with your content on the internet, you will need some space on the internet or the servers.
Your files or website will be stored on the servers and whenever some user wants your content to read, this server will provide them your content. This server is known as Web Hosting.
You have to buy this hosting from the hosting providers like hostinger, bluehost, hostgator etc.
There is also an option of free hosting which is a Google product known as blogger.
To completely understand how to select a web hosting visit my blogging guide on web hosting.
As I said earlier, you can work on free or paid hosting. Blogger provides you free hosting, which has less tools in it, that makes it easy to understand.
In paid hosting, you will get access to WordPress, which has extra tools like new themes, plug-in, etc. Which makes your work and SEO easy. And the website looks professional.
If you are a newbie and don’t know anything about blogging, then start working on a free blogger. Later you can shift it to WordPress with my blogging guide.
If you have 6 to 12 months of blog learning experience, then start investing to gain profit. When you invest your money then you will work hard.
Step 3: Launch your website with paid hosting.
Almost every hosting provides you one click WordPress installation. Almost every 1 out of 2 websites are built by WordPress.
WordPress provides you different paid themes, plugins which makes your work easy, SEO powerful and website professional.
So after reading my guide, you’ll be knowledgeable enough to opt for a paid hosting and WordPress.
Step 4: Basic WordPress settings
● Select General settings, from settings option.
Then add title, tagline, timezone, etc.
● Select Permalinks, this decides the look of your posts URL. Personally, I prefer Post Name format, as it is SEO friendly. This makes the URL short, which Google prefers to rank. Visitors will get a perfect idea about your post.
● Complete the other self explanatory settings.
Step 5: Link your website with Google Analytics and Google Search Console
Google Analytics is a valuable tool by Google to track your visitors’ actions on your website. Where they’re coming from, their likes, etc can be identified.
Google Search Console helps you in Search Engine Optimization. You can track your keyword and also index your post and pages for Google to crawl.
These free tools will help you alot in understanding your visitors and SEO.
Step 6: Install basic WordPress plugins
About 30% of websites on the internet are made with WordPress. WordPress provides 1000’s of already built themes.
And the cool part is, It provides plugins, which enhances your website’s performance.
Plugins are apps which can be used with WordPress to add extra features to your website.
Plugins can be used to manage your email list, protect your website from spam, optimize your website for search engines, add buttons like signup, fb, insta and create contact forms, etc.
Heavy coding is needed if you have to add the above features, but this plugin makes this job easier.
There are more than 50000 plugins. You can’t install all of this, so I am providing you 9 basic plugins in my blogging guige which you have to install.
Remember, using a lot plugins may decrease your website’s performance and can increase load time.
1. Akismet Anti-Spam: Who likes spams, but you have to deal with this everyday. Spam comments and others can ruin the experience of the visitors. So use this anti spam plugin.
2. Jetpack by WordPress: This is an all in one tool which helps you to trace your statistics, enhance social sharing, design website and safeguards from attacks.
3. Yoast SEO: The most popular and important tool gives you an idea to improve your on page SEO.
4. MonsterInsights: This plugin helps you to add and optimise Google Analytics used to track your website.
5. Soliloquy: This is a mobile responsive slider plugin for WordPress.
6. Gravity forms: Best plugin to create forms like contact form.
7. Google XML Sitemaps: When you update or publish a new blogpost, then it will automatically notify the search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing.
8. Social Warfare : To add social sharing buttons.
9. WP Super Cache: It decreases the load time for a better user experience.
Step 7: Create pages you want to add on your website
Add important pages like:
● Homepage: The first page every visitor watches must include how you will help them. Helping them make money, teaching new skills, growing their business, etc.
● Contact page: If you have some time, try to help your visitors personally. This builds relationships.
● Product page: If you want to sell any physical or digital products.
● About page: Few lines about you, to create connection, advising them if you can do it, they can do it too. Focus mainly on how you can help them.
And other pages according to your website’s need.
Step 8: Select proper theme
If you are using a WordPress theme, you don’t need enough optimization. Keep it simple.
1. Beauty lies in simplicity. Observe the websites of famous bloggers like Neil Patel, Harsh Aggarwal. Their website looks simple.
2. No design, no sidebox or extra features should come in between your content and visitors. Visitors should be able to see the content easily and should not feel congested.
3. Theme should be mobile responsive as most of the surfers on Google use mobile. You can find that in description.
4. Side bar should be filled as little as possible. There must be an open space.
5. Theme should not have extra plugins or third party scripts, which you can see in description of that theme.
6. Run the demo url of the theme in Google pagespeed insights, to help you out.
Step 9: Set up your blog for SEO
Yoast SEO is used to make on-page SEO easier. Best part is that you don’t have to be an expert in SEO. This tool guides you to do onsite SEO with suggestions.
It uses different colour codes to suggest any changes users should make or not. It will give you the idea of your post’s readability.
Green means “no need to change”, yellow means “better can be done”, and red means “you should change the sentence”. And will give you some tips about it.
It will also provide a preview of your post, that how the title, url and meta description will look in results.
To know how to set up yoast SEO and more usage, you can go to yoast seo setup.
Now start creating your blog posts which gives value to the visitors.